Saturday 19 September 2015

My First Craft Fair & Nearly My Last

 My First Craft Fair & Nearly My Last........
I Wish This Had been My First Craft Fair, but it wasn't.

Some one had contacted my sister through Facebook and asked her, if she would be interested in doing a Charity Fair. 
So, she also got me a place as well, so we headed down to it, she had packed her stuff and I packed some of my beads and supplies to sell.
It was a Cold, Wintery Saturday, there was still a little frost on the ground, which made it slippery and it was now beginning to rain, big cold drops of rain too. 
We set off in my Brother in Law's Car, loaded to the gills and began the journey, it was in a small village in the middle of the country on the far side of Lough Neagh.
We both had great expectations, hoping that we would sell some stuff, at least get our fee back. We drove for about an hour, down wee country roads,  and arrived at the venue, which turned out to be a bar / restaurant, the only Bar in the town. By the time we had got unpacked and into the place, we were soaked, freezing and slightly unhappy, to say the least

We were shown to our tables, which were next to each other, thankfully. We set up and it became apparent that they had just filled the room, with as many people as possible , There were 4 people selling Jewellery. Next to my sister, was a lady from Belfast, who was selling Her Jewellery, which was at least 30 miles away from where she was now. She put her stall up, next to us and never spoke or even acknowledged us  and we all began to wait, people arrived and left and arrived and left, some stopping, a lot more not, even taking time to look.
My sister's prices were at the lower range of jewellery prices, as she wanted to sell stuff off, so that she could buy new beads. 
Then the Lady, next to her began to lower her prices, to stupid money, but no one bought from her. I had a sale and so had my sister, then another one, but the Lady next began to huff,( that was a sight to see), because she had not had a sale at all.
I took a quick walk around , only to find that the other 2 people selling jewellery had bought in the Jewellery made up and it was not Handmade by them, at all.
One of then then came over later and bought some stuff of me, after they had walked round at least 5 times and the day dragged on, like a snail on valium. Then eventually it was all over, 4.00, it seemed like ages, since we had left my house, plus we didn't even clear our fees, I know it was for a good cause, but we never even got enough to cover the petrol money.
I was cold, hungry and bored stupid, seriously disillusioned, I felt that I had wasted my time and felt sorry for my poor brother in law, who had had to sit, outside for 6 hours waiting for us.but I had learned something, about going to fairs.
Never expect a lot and be grateful for any sales
I only have even done another one, and it was a lot better, plus there were only the 3 of us there.
Feast or a Famine...... Lol.


So, How was your First Fair, would be interested to hear, if your experience was better or worse that mine.

Be Happy....


No comments:

Post a Comment